news blog
Logo
Follow by Email

Enter your email address

History Of School

Parakramabahu central college which ranks the best school in the
area is the result of the untiring efforts of rev.pallewela palitha Thero
and other distinguished persons in the polgahawela area.
Mr.M.D.Banda,a former Minister of Food and Agriculture,Mr.Gnanaprakasham
and Mr. Alexander donated the land for the school.
The then primeminister Hon.D.S.Senanayake laid the foundation stone for
the first two storyed building of the school on the 19th August 1951.

The Central College was declared open on the 10th of
January 1954,At the initial stage it comprised of 110
students and 3 teachers. Mr,S.M.Gunathilake (retired Divisional Director of
Education-Polgahawela)was fortunate to be enrolled as the first student of
the school. At the initial stage,there had been only the two storyed
building and the principal's bungalow.

In the year of 1957,the first batch of students appeared
for the senior school certificate Examination.Out of 70
students,51 passed.Then in 1960,17 students appeared
for the University Entrance Examination and 4 students
obtained the opprtunity to enter the universities.

The School Dental Clinic was declared opened by
Hon.Minister of Health M.D.H.Jayawardane and Hon.
Minister of Agriculture M.D.Banda.
Gradually the school flourished in to a well developed
school in the locality.A girls'hostel,a playground,a library
and two laboratories,were added to the school.
In 1985,due to the insurgency,the school was transformed
in to an Army camp but it was brought back in to the
former central college again in 1986. Then the school became
the cluster schools in Polgahawela.The school was elevated to the
National school level in the year 1999.

On the 31st of January 2004 Mr,J.A.Sunil Jayakody
assumed duties as the principal.Since then,with his untiring
efforts and commitment,the school has been reaching towards
the progress in both cocurricular and extra curricular fields.